People with high self-esteem mostly cope better with life's problems than those with low self-confidence.
They tend not to stay in bad relationships – because they know they would be better living alone than with someone who doesn’t make them feel good about themselves.
They rarely develop addictions to drink or drugs – or get deeply depressed either.
Of course, they have their difficulties, just like we all do. But they are better equipped to survive them than people who lack self-confidence.
Interestingly, a lot of men and women who appear confident – particularly in their careers – actually have quite low self-esteem. This is tough on them, because no one suspects they are insecure underneath or that they need help.
Self-esteem is all about how you estimate yourself. But if you don't rate yourself very highly, chances are others won't either.
So have a go at this interactive test. And if you find out that you are lacking in self-esteem, you can begin to do something about it.
Select the right answer
1. Do you dislike yourself?
2. Do you think that you're inadequate compared with others?
3. Are you shy?
4. Are you lacking in confidence?
5. Do you find it difficult to express yourself in company?
6. Do you feel you don't deserve to be happy?
7. Do you feel that other people tend to dislike you?
8. Do you feel that your opinion doesn't matter to other people?
9. If you do well at something, do you tend to put it down to luck, rather than feel pleased with yourself?
10. If you do badly at something, do you believe it's all your fault?
11. Would your feelings about yourself stop you from seeking promotion?
12. Do your feel you must Always be a follower, rather than a leader?
13. 'It's only human to make mistakes'. Would you generally disagree with his statement?
14. If you make a mistake, do you reject the idea that you're only human and feel furious and unhappy with yourself?
15. Do you find it hard to say 'NO'?
16. Do you find it hard to take criticism from other people?
17. Do you find it hard to criticise someone to their face?
18. If you feel angry, or hard-done-by, do you tend to keep quiet about it initially, but later erupt and really lose your temper?
19. In bad relationships do you find it difficult to pluck up the courage to leave?
20. Do you generally agree with the following statement: 'It is impossible for me to be happy if I'm not in a relationship?'